Monday, August 30, 2010

Green Cheek Beak Injury

Anyone who has a green cheek knows how curious and bold they can be. Even while closely supervised, they can get into trouble. That was just the case when one of my young green cheeks decided to land on a cage containing young senegals. The senegals were not too happy about the newcomer and before I could get the little conure off the cage, one of the senegals bit the green cheek on the beak and caused a puncture wound.

I took my little conure to ABC Animal & Bird Clinic on Highway 6. This injury definitely needed medical attention! I thought it would be interesting for my readers to see this conure's progress as his beak was cleaned and patched. A big thank you to Dr. Roset for taking the time to take the pictures during the procedure while the bird was anethesized.

Dr. Roset did a wonderful job. As predicted, the patch did not last long but it did it's job allowing some healing to take place while the would was still fresh. The conure is doing fine and you must look very closely to see the injured part of the beak now. The procedure did not phase him a bit and he is just as friendly and curious as ever! He is currently for sale.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering about how much the vet visit cost. I will be taking my little Skittles to the vet in the morning trying to allocate money for the visit. Her injury looks very much the same as yours. I am glad to know that it will heal!
    Thanks,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwen. All vets charge differently. It's best to get a quote from your vet, then you can decide what course of action to take. Best of luck to you and Skittles tomorrow! Let us know how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont know why but my bird is called skittles too! i got him from a family with no time to take care of the poor fella anymore

    ReplyDelete